Saturday, March 1, 2008

Second Session in Second Life

I was placed in two groups this week: Caecillius and Grover.  I would have preferred to have been in Caecillius's building group but was unable to locate them in 2L.  Grover's group was exploring virtual reality in 2L.  We went to the particle laboratory, ACHUB, and the virtual reality room.  
I do not remember the order in which we visited these three places (I lost my notes) so i will talk about them individually.  First I will talk about the virtual reality room.  It took the groups a while to find out how to fly onto the floating floors.  The location in this place that we went to had tic tac toe, chess, and Sudduko (sp)  on the "walls".  There we also a lot of ads and pictures of people.  Something that the group leader mentioned was that there was a differentiation between men and women in these rooms.  I did not find this location to be particularly interesting.
The next location was the ACHUB.  This location resembled a stadium.  There were spheres located throughout the entire place.  They were label acid trip, rave, and other sorts of things like dances.  I chose acid trip because it was the first one that I saw.  I sat on it and my avatar started to dance strangely.  I think that it was simulating that your character had just taken acid?  One of the members of my group could not control or stop the dancing for most of the session.   It would have been more interesting if you could see something more then you avatar dancing.
Finally, there is the particle laboratory.    This location had hot air balloons that would take you to whatever you picked from the selection. (I think this is were I got lost).  We went to the beach and fireworks show.  I tried to use a hot air balloon by myself and strange music started to play and the balloon combusted. 
My favorite part of the session was the location (virtual reality room?) where you stood in a room and selected a location.  The location formed around your avatar.  It gave you a vivid and panoramic picture of the place that you chose.  However, you could not interact with your surroundings.  
At some point (I think in the ACHUB) I completely lost contact with my group and got lost (luckily it was at the end of the session).  I tried looking for my group in all three locations but with no luck. 

No comments: